Tuesday, December 8, 2009

AKRT
Day 3
“Going the distance.”

This morning we left Huron, SD, population 11,893. Three of those people are the nicest people west of the Mississippi, the Erdmans, who hosted us for the night. Made us dinner…made us breakfast…packed us a lunch. Who can ask for better than that.


Then we drove. And we drove some more. After that we drove a little father. And then we did some more driving. When we got to the western side of SD I made Fox take a mini detour to Wall Drug. She seemed quite skeptical, but I assured her it was a must see of the West.


Sadly the visibility was not good enough out to swing down and see Mt. Rushmore. But I did convince Fox to leave the highway, on another mini adventure to the town of Belle Forchs, which is home to the geographical center of the US. By this point Fox isn’t feeling so great and kind of feels like she’s in the geographical center of hell. I get out, do a self photo op, realize that its -11 degrees out and my furry mouse butt is frozen so I hop back in the prius and we drive again. We drive through WY, but didn’t get to see much because it started to get dark a little before 5. This evening we arrived in Billings, MT at our Couch Surfing hosts house for the evening. I’d tell you about him, but we only met him for a second because he had to head out and meet some people. So we are in his house, which is pretty cool (both decoratively and temperature wise) waiting for him to return. He seems like a pretty nice guy, so I am looking forward to getting to visit with him. Fox is already in bed. She had a long day. And I know she is looking forward to getting to AK…but we still have a ways to go.


Some notes of importance:
1. They sell milk (and OJ) in bags here. Yes, they have cartons too. But lots o’ bags.
2. We have driven thru 7 states now and had virtually no snow. The most snow on the ground that we have encountered was about an inch in Huron. This has made driving awesome! Pray that it continues.
3. Fox and Mouse have vastly different tastes in music. Fox: Nsync; anything Christmas; Country- songs about tractors and cold beer; and some song by Nellie called Pimp Juice. Mouse: Jason Mraz, Duffy, Edie Brickell, Devotchka, and Kate Rusby. Driver calls the music.
4. So far Montana still has a speed limit. I was kinda hoping that the rumors were true and there was no speed limit. That would be like my heaven. J
5. Before going inside tonight I stopped to look at the stars. There’s just nothing better than looking at a sky full of stars on a cold, clear night. And this is Big Sky Country. I’m almost positive you can see some of the stars in the southern hemisphere from here. Just nothing better….well maybe I can think of a few things…

Alright my little lovelies. Good night.
Mouse (and Fox who is passed out in bed.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you guys are too cute. :) traveling mercies for you...can't wait to read more.

Anonymous said...

hi mouse and fox. it's about time you left the house. they sell lots of bagged milk here too, and i have earned myself quite the reputation for spilling it everywhere every time i try to pour it. don't worry though--i never cry. have a great continuation of your trip!

Cara

Anonymous said...

Lucky for you that you missed the snow. It is miserable here in the midwest. I bet by now city mouse knows the words to "My big green tractor" yes?

The Mice said...

my anonymous friends, be sure to put your name so i know who you are!

City Mouse

Jonathan Erdman said...

Ha! Yes. We just drove through Montana a few months ago. Tamie said that the speed limit used to be "safe and prudent" until only the last ten years or so.

Oh, and Fox sure sleeps alot!
=)