Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ch. 2 Never Again

Sunday, Oct. 26, 2008
Dachau Concentration Camp
Dachau, Germany, near Munich

Wow. There just are no words right now for this. The best I can come up with is 'haunting'. I have thought about this over and over, and there is jsut no way for me to describe this experience. I am going to give you the link to MV's blog. I think he captured it as eloquently as possible.

http://theosproject.blogspot.com/2008/10/dachau.html

There were a few main things that really affected me. 1.The torture the Nazis inflicted on the prisoners was beyond comprehension. Especially the human experiements, as well as a thing they called pole hanging. For punishment they would tie the prisoners wrists behind their backs, then hang them from thier wrists from a hook in the ceiling for several hours while they would beat them. 2. This place was huge. It was originally constructed to hold 6000 prisoners and ended up housing 40,000. There was not enough food, so people basically starved to death.
But what really captured my heart was the expression that these prisoners were able to survive with the solidarity and brotherly love of each other. They kept each other going. Even though it is hard for me to understand why one would want to.

It is hard to understand how something like this could have happened. But as the memorial states insife the camp, NEVER AGAIN.


In memory of all who had suffered there,
CM






No comments: