Monday, August 30, 2010

Little Mice, Big City.





Hello friends! Country Mouse here to tell you about our lovely second day in Boston. We arrived in the city after once again successfully navigating the train system around 9:00 a.m. We observed a lady on the train with super high heels with glitters and a nice top with sweat pants on in between. Who knows? Living in the city must be entertaining. Unfortunately today our friend Emily had to work so the two mice were off to conquer the city on their own. First stop was breakfast and I had the best tomato basil tort and I’m not sure what it’s made of but it was the best thing I’ve had so far. So good. Then we ventured toward the Boston Common. . . Now I think we all know what the “Country” mouse favors in the way of an environment. But Boston is a contradictory place, there are nice country areas within the larger city. The Boston Common (5-sided) contains a frog pond, a swan pond, a public garden area, lots of sunbathers, and lots of green grass. Would any of you wear an itty bitty little bikini and lay out near the Swan Pond in Winona Lake? No! But this is what the people of Boston do. . . Wear as little as possible and lay out in the green areas of the city. To their credit, I heard someone saying that it has been the hottest day all summer. And it was very warm, especially for the mice in their matching black tops. But on with our journey. We waded across the Frog Pond, which does not contain frogs at all but is a lovely shallow pool for families to come and enjoy. It may be my favorite spot in Boston- or close to it. We observed the Swan Boats in the Swan Pond. Some poor soul paddles these huge boats around like a bicycle and people just sit on them and move very slowly. We passed on that adventure. We walked down Newbury Street. And then we went to the Esplanade. For the life of me I cannot keep in my head how to pronounce that word- but it is an area around the river that is very green and peaceful and full of runners. And. . . The tannest man alive. I may let City Mouse tell you more about him. We took a nice little nap there by the river because we had been walking FOREVER in the heat and we were tired little mice. We also went by the Hatch Shell which is an outdoor area where they have concerts and movies. I am going to have to go back sometime when I can witness this- the idea of sitting outside on a blanket and drinking wine while watching a movie really sounds fun to me. But then comes the best part of the day. . . We met up with my friend Ashley and he took us sailing. SAILING! We had a delightful time. And then we ate at a nice little restaurant where the menu is made up by the best chefs in Boston. And then he took us to his place and we sat out on a deck to drink some wine and listen to music. It was great. This house is a skinny six stories tall and it has an elevator. Cool place. I could not have imagined a better evening. It was just about the perfect day. . . And yes country mouse is saying the perfect day was in the city. We went home around 11:30 p.m. so we were in the city walking for 14 plus hours . . . We were sweaty messes when we arrived back at Emily’s.
Unfortunately we had to depart this morning but we were on to a new adventure, driving up the coast to Port Clyde Maine. . . Via Gloucester, MA.
We stopped in Gloucester because I was there nine years ago with my family and it’s quite a pretty little place. When I was there then my dad and I got up one morning so that I could shoot photos of the sunrise between these two lighthouses. So today we set off on an adventure to find the same place again. And we did- when I was there before it was sunrise and abandoned. This time there were hundreds of people with bright umbrellas but it was cool to find again. It made me really appreciate that memory where my dad took me to take pictures. Thanks dad.
There’s also an artist colony there so we checked out some art and traveled up the coast some more.
I will tell you that I am eating entirely too many eggs on this vacation. I had then last night for dinner, today at breakfast and this evening in a quiche. Enough is enough.
We are staying in this awesome Bed and Breakfast (my favorite) and there’s a barn restaurant next door, too cute.
I was in this area nine years ago with the fam and again 4 years ago . . . I came up here for almost 2 weeks on my own to take two classes at the Maine Photographic Workshops in Rockport (near Camden). It was a big time for me. I am struggling now with whether or not we should go to all these places that I have in my memory or try to see new places. So far I’m going for the memory and tomorrow we’re going to Monhegan Island, a place I loved before.
I’m going to hand it over to the City Mouse now. . .

City Mouse is tired. She will write later….

No comments: